MX23RW : Sunday, October 27 15:28:55| >> :600:270831:270831:

Conor McGregor announces UFC return

Conor McGregor announces UFC return
© Reuters
McGregor has not fought in over a year.

Conor McGregor has announced he will return to the UFC's octagon on January 18 in Las Vegas.

The Irishman has not fought in mixed martial arts company since losing to unbeaten Russian Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.

But on Thursday McGregor stated his intentions to return to action and, eventually, secure a rematch with Nurmagomedov.

Conor McGregor is set to return to a UFC octagon
Conor McGregor is set to return to a UFC octagon (Brian Lawless/PA)

During a lengthy press conference in Moscow, McGregor hinted he was ready for a rematch but said he was "not waiting around for that man".

He then said: "I would like to announce to the public, the return of the 'Notorious' Conor McGregor will take place on January 18 in the T Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. So that is my comeback fight.

"It is 12 weeks this Saturday, I'm in prime physical condition.

"Ask the UFC who my opponent is because I do not give a f*** who the opponent is."

McGregor has a 21-4 record in the UFC and in 2016 became the first fighter to hold belts in two of the company's weight categories at the same time.

He has fought just once in the octagon since then  – the Nurmagomedov fight – but lost to Floyd Mayweather in a professional boxing bout in August 2017.

With his focus firmly back on MMA, McGregor outlined his plan for his comeback following his January date in Las Vegas – with a third fight against Nate Diaz and an eventual rematch with Nurmagomedov his main aims.

He added: "That will be the beginning of my season. I will then look to compete against the winner of Nate Diaz-Jorge Masvidal.

Conor McGregor took on Floyd Mayweather in 2017
Conor McGregor took on Floyd Mayweather in 2017 (Lionel Hahn/PA)

"Obviously I have history with Nate Diaz, we are set to make the trilogy bout. We will see how it goes. I feel Nate will get the better of that one.

"Then I will seek the Moscow bout and it will be against the winner of Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov.

"We want this bout in Moscow. The people in Russia deserve this bout to take place. The people of the world deserve this bout to take place.

"There is an inevitable rematch, it is a rematch that I will come in sharp, fresh. I will have no injuries, I will have no alcohol, I will have no outside influences, I will be fully focused, exactly what the people deserve. And we will settle it once and for all."

body check tags ::

Click here for more stories about Conor McGregor

Share this article now:
Instagram - Follow Sports Mole
Conor McGregor pictured in August 2017
Read Next:
Conor McGregor hints at UFC return in Dublin in December
>

Premier League
Rugby World Cup
Championship
Scottish Premiership
La Liga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Eredivisie
Primeira Liga
Turkish Super Lig
Belgian Pro League
Greek Superleague
Russian Premier League
Ukrainian Premier League
Swiss Super League
Norwegian Eliteserien
Swedish Allsvenskan
Danish Superliga
Segunda Division
Serie B
2.Bundesliga
Welsh Premier League
Brasileiro
Australian A-League
Chinese Super League
Liga MX
Women's Super League
Gallagher Premiership
NFL

Subscribe to our Newsletter


Transfer Talk Daily
Match previews - twice weekly
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!