Jun 11, 2016 at 8.35am UK
New Zealand
Savea (15'), Naholo (17', 62'), Read (68'), Harris (80')
Faletau (10'), Webb (31')

Result: New Zealand fight back to see off Wales

New Zealand overcome a half-time deficit to register a 39-21 victory over Wales in the first Test match at Eden Park.

Wales's barren run in New Zealand has stretched to a 27th match after the All Blacks mounted a second-half comeback to run out 39-21 winners at Eden Park.

In a back-and-forth contest in Auckland, two tries in the space of six minutes proved to be the difference as the home team eventually ran out comfortable victors and Wales were made to wait for their first win in New Zealand since 1953.

Ben Smith of New Zealand makes a break during the international Test match against Wales at Eden Park on June 11, 2016© Getty Images

New Zealand registered an early penalty to move ahead before Wales touched down with the first try of the match as Taulupe Faletau went over after excellent work from Dan Biggar and Liam Williams.

The Kiwis produced an immediate response with Julian Savea getting on the scoresheet after gathering a kick into the corner from Aaron Cruden, before Waisake Naholo went underneath the posts as New Zealand moved 15-5 ahead.

However, the final 20 minutes of the first half belonged to Wales who hauled themselves back into the game with two penalties from Biggar before Rhys Webb dived under the posts to help his team to an 18-15 advantage at the break.

Rhys Webb of Wales with a pass during the international Test match against New Zealand on June 11, 2016© Getty Images

Both sides were tentative after the restart but after penalties were exchanged, New Zealand moved up a gear and with 18 minutes left, Naholo went over for his second try after benefiting from the quick thinking of Aaron Smith.

Six minutes later, it was effectively game over as Kieran Read was set free to touch down and after a successful conversion, New Zealand held an 11-point lead heading into the closing stages.

Kieran Read of New Zealand celebrates after scoring a try with teammate Aaron Cruden during the international Test against Wales on June 11, 2016© Getty Images

Both teams had tries chalked off within a minute of each other before New Zealand capped off a fine comeback as Nathan Harris recorded his team's fifth try with the final play of the match to give the All Blacks a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three series.

Michael Cheika, Head Coach of Australia gives instructions prior to the 2015 Rugby World Cup Quarter Final match between Australia and Scotland at Twickenham Stadium on October 18, 2015 in London, United Kingdom.
Read Next:
Australia 'reveal RWC final tactics'