Jun 25, 2016 at 5.30pm UK at ​DW Stadium
Wigan Warriors
CastlefordCastleford Tigers
Sarginson (6'), Tomkins (15'), Charnley (29', 34'), Manfredi (74')
Gale (65'), Crooks (79')

Result: Wigan Warriors beat Castleford Tigers to book place in semi-finals

Josh Charnley of Wigan Warriors gives instructions during the Tetley's Challenge Cup Final between Wigan Warriors and Hull FC at Wembley Stadium on August 24, 2013
© Getty Images
Wigan Warriors score four first-half tries without response on their way to beating Castleford Tigers 26-12 in the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup.

Wigan Warriors have comprehensively defeated Castleford Tigers 26-12 at the DW Stadium to book their place in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

Four first-half tries put the Warriors well on their way to a solid win on home soil and, despite their opponents pulling one back on the hour, it was plain sailing into the final four of the competition.

The hosts were ahead inside the opening six minutes after Ryan Sutton burst clear and played in Sam Tomkins, who in turn set up Dan Sarginson for the breakthrough score.

It did not take too much longer for Wigan to bag themselves a second to create some breathing space, as Tomkins this time darted past Grant Millington and touched down under the posts.

Try number three arrived on the half-hour mark - Josh Charnley joining the party when diving over at the end of a strong initial break from Taulima Tautai in a one-sided first half.

Warriors had a seemingly unassailable lead before the interval thanks to Charnley, who bagged his second and the hosts' fourth score of the night with a dive over the chalk right in the corner.

A glimmer of hope was provided for Cas - who had won their last three cup ties here stretching back to 1948 - when Luke Gale finished off a well-worked move under the posts, before converting from the follow-up kick to drag his side within 16 points of their opponents.

The momentum that the Tigers so much craved did not follow, though, and Dom Manfredi controversially crossed over in the final quarter of the match to seal things for Wigan, making Ben Crooks's late try a mere consolation.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, Warrington Wolves and Hull FC join the Warriors in the final four of the competition.

Joe Burgess of Wigan celebrates with team-mates after scoring a try during the Super League match between St Helens and Wigan Warriors at Langtree Park on April 18, 2014
Read Next:
Super League roundup: Wigan, Saints big winners
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole