Sports Mole rounds up all of the latest news regarding Formula 1 on Sunday, December 6.
Sunday morning's Formula 1 news roundup
Sergio Perez on Saturday played down the significance of being spotted in conversation with Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko in the Bahrain paddock.
The Mexican told Spanish-language media last week that he will either be selected to replace Alex Albon for 2021, or he will take a sabbatical.
So after the French broadcaster Canal Plus spotted Perez, 30, in conversation with Red Bull driver manager Marko on Saturday, the driver insisted: "I just said hello.
"We didn't talk about anything else," Perez insisted. "As they have said, they will decide in Abu Dhabi."
Indeed, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said earlier in Bahrain that struggling British-born Thai driver Alex Albon has two more races to prove he should be retained for 2021.
Albon qualified just 12th on Saturday, while teammate Max Verstappen was mere thousandths away from the all-Mercedes front row.
However, Horner has defended Albon's talent alongside Verstappen.
"I think you've got to look at how Max has evolved over the last few years," he said. "If you look at his average to Max, Alex's average is still closer than Pierre (Gasly)'s was last year.
"We know we've had some issues with the car that have made life particularly difficult, but we're confident that situation will hopefully improve for him and for any driver," added Horner.
"Max is a tall order to go up against - he's arguably the most in-form driver currently in Formula 1 and I think it would be tough for any driver to go up against Max currently."
Daniil Kvyat says he has "accepted" the likelihood that he will be left without a Formula 1 seat for 2021.
One of the only doubts about Honda-backed Formula 2 driver Yuki Tsunoda's promotion for next year was whether he would qualify for a super licence.
But the Japanese then won Saturday's race in Bahrain, guaranteeing him the mandatory F1 credential.
"I think the chances are very small," said Russian Kvyat, when asked if his impressive P6 in qualifying increased his hopes of keeping the Alpha Tauri seat alongside Pierre Gasly for 2021.
"I already accepted that some time ago. There is only one vacant seat left in Formula 1 and they (Red Bull) need to promote their young drivers. That's the last thing I heard and it's fair.
"I don't live in a dream world - I know how things work. Today was one of those sessions where I am able to show what I'm worth, so if I am not here next year then I will do everything to return in 2022, hungrier than ever," Kvyat added after qualifying in Bahrain.
Alpha Tauri boss Franz Tost also hinted that Kvyat, 26, would accept his departure from the team with dignity.
"Dany is experienced and a fast driver - he knows the game and the rules in Formula 1," he said.
"I hope he will also be competitive on Sunday and in Abu Dhabi and then we will see."
More news from Formula 1:
Now Vettel wants Racing Point test in Abu Dhabi
Fernando Alonso on Saturday smiled when told that some of Renault's rival teams are unhappy about his participation in the forthcoming 'young driver test' in Abu Dhabi. Read more.
George Russell admits he is "gutted" to miss out on Sakhir pole
The 22-year-old Briton is deputising for Covid-19 victim Lewis Hamilton with Mercedes. Read more.
Result: Max Verstappen quickest in final Sakhir practice, George Russell seventh
George Russell is standing in for Lewis Hamilton. Read more.
Result: Valtteri Bottas beats George Russell to Sakhir pole by 0.026 seconds
George Russell is deputising for Lewis Hamilton following the seven-time world champion's positive Covid-19 test. Read more.