Sports Mole rounds up all of the latest news regarding Formula 1 on Saturday, August 29.
Saturday morning's Formula 1 news roundup:
A Formula 1 journalist is wondering if Bernie Ecclestone is involved in the Williams buyout.
Earlier in 2020, when the struggling British team announced it was for sale, the former F1 supremo said Williams would be "a great loss" to the sport.
"I am looking around to find people who could and might be involved," Ecclestone said.
And so it is fascinating that while Williams' new owner is the New York-based investment company Dorilton Capital, Ilta Sanomat journalist Janne Aittoniemi has spotted a crucial detail when digging a little deeper.
He says the team has in fact been bought by a Dorilton subsidiary called BCE Limited. BCE is 89-year-old Ecclestone's full initials - Bernard Charles Ecclestone.
"It's hard to find information about the mysterious BCE Limited," Aittoniemi admitted.
Another rumour is that the buyout could result in a change of leadership at Williams - notably the departure of team boss Claire Williams.
Ecclestone had said in June: "Frank was hands-on in the way he managed the team. Unfortunately, the current management do not have the same status as Frank. He could get things done."
When asked at Spa about Claire Williams' future, team driver George Russell said: "You know, I haven't thought about it.
"But the Williams family occupies an important place in the history of Formula 1. I am sure that Frank would not have sold the team if he was not sure that this option gave it the best possible future."
As for what management changes might be needed, Russell added: "The task of the driver is to drive, so I'll leave those questions to the people who can answer it properly."
Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess has dropped a tantalising hint about the German carmaker giant's potential future in Formula 1.
Even though VW brands Audi and Porsche are in Formula E, Diess says he prefers motor racing's top class of open wheel racing - even when considering the future of technology.
"In my personal view, it would be better to go ahead with motor racing," he said on LinkedIn.
"F1 becoming CO2 neutral using synthetic fuels is a much more exciting and fun tech-competition than Formula E," Diess added.
In fact, he said Formula E is akin to "driving a few laps in city centres in gaming mode".
However, the Austrian also insisted: "All of this only makes sense if we get carbon-free electricity soon. It's possible.
"But Germany's target date to exit coal power only by 2038 is - for a rich, tech-leading country - by far not ambitious enough," said Diess.
More news from Formula 1:
Claire Williams casts doubt over future after Dorilton Capital takeover
Claire Williams, winners of 16 drivers' and constructors' world championships, were sold last week to the US investment firm. Read more.
Marko reveals Concorde Agreement annual break clause
Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed reports that teams will be able to pull out of Formula 1 at the end of each season. Read more.
Mugello becomes fourth 2020 race wanting spectators
Mugello has become a fourth 2020 race host hoping to welcome spectators back to Formula 1. Read more.
Lewis Hamilton 'feeling lonely' in his pursuit of Michael Schumacher's record
The Mercedes driver says 'days at the track are the good days, but the ones in between are a little bit trickier'. Read more.
Belgian GP boycott unlikely over US political unrest
A boycott of the Belgian GP at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend appears highly unlikely. Read more.
Valtteri Bottas edges out Lewis Hamilton in opening practice
Max Verstappen was only fractionally slower than the Mercedes duo. Read more.
Max Verstappen fastest in second practice ahead of Belgian Grand Prix
The Dutch driver is 37 points adrift of Lewis Hamilton in the championship. Read more.
10 percent downforce reduction for 2021 - Tombazis
Downforce will be slashed by 10 percent next year, predominantly to help official tyre supplier Pirelli to cope. Read more.
3,000 spectators to be allowed at Mugello
The president of Italy's Tuscany region, Enrico Rossi, looks set to approve a maximum of 3,000 spectators per day for the Mugello race in two weeks. Read more.