Sports Mole rounds up all of the latest news regarding Formula 1 on Monday, December 7.
Monday morning's Formula 1 news roundup
The team that is ousting Sakhir GP winner Sergio Perez says the Mexican "deserves a place in Formula 1".
30-year-old Perez, who after Mercedes' problems and the Max Verstappen-Charles Leclerc first lap crash surprisingly won Sunday's race, admits he will have to take a sabbatical next year if he doesn't secure Alex Albon's Red Bull seat.
Immediately after winning in Bahrain, Perez said he is no longer considering the option of simply retiring after taking his potential sabbatical in 2021.
"I never know what's going to happen, if I will have the will to come back after doing that," he said. "But after today, after the last couple of races, I'm sort of determined to be here, whether it's next year or the year after," he said.
"I already have some good options for '22 but my best option is obviously to keep going on next year but if I have to stop, then it's not a disaster, I can come back in '22."
Former Red Bull driver Robert Doornbos is urging Dr Helmut Marko to throw Perez a lifeline.
"Come on Helmut, sign him! Look how he overtook Albon, coming from last place to first," he said on Ziggo Sport.
Even Racing Point team owner Lawrence Stroll, who is replacing Perez with Sebastian Vettel next year, admits that the Mexican deserves to be in F1.
"Every weekend he proves that he deserves a place in Formula 1," the Canadian told Sky Deutschland.
"Hopefully we'll see him at Red Bull next year."
But if Perez is forced onto the sidelines next year, he rates his chances of being able to quickly reacclimatise to Formula 1 in 2022.
"The regulations are going to change so much that, in a way, I don't think it will hurt the driving side that much in getting back up to speed," he said.
"I'm at peace with myself. It's just the way Formula 1 is - it can be really tough and not the best drivers are in Formula 1 unfortunately. So we keep pushing and we keep delivering and I think that's the best way to do it."
Romain Grosjean says skipping the final race in his Formula 1 career this weekend will safeguard his longer-term health.
The Frenchman, who watched Sunday's Sakhir GP from the sidelines, made the "most difficult but wisest" decision to return home to Switzerland rather than try to return to his Haas cockpit with burned hands in Abu Dhabi.
"I said goodbye to the paddock," the 34-year-old told France 2 late on Sunday.
"At the gates, scanning my pass, I thought it was probably the last time I would see my name with 'F1 driver' underneath.
"I will not be in Abu Dhabi because my left hand is still badly burned," Grosjean explained. "It would not be safe and I want to avoid a skin graft. But I will come back to the paddock to see my friends next year."
Earlier, there had been speculation that newly-crowned Formula 2 champion - and 2021 Haas driver - Mick Schumacher would take over Grosjean's vacant cockpit in Abu Dhabi this weekend.
But the small American team has confirmed that Pietro Fittipaldi will be back in the car.
"It's very difficult nowadays to make it to Formula 1 but I can say I've finished a Formula 1 race," said the grandson of F1 legend Emerson Fittipaldi after finishing last in Sunday's Sakhir GP.
Two places ahead of him, Haas regular Kevin Magnussen - who is moving to US-based sports cars next year - said on Sunday that the team's 2020 car is "definitely the slowest in the field".
More news from Formula 1:
Result: George Russell suffers puncture as Sergio Perez wins Sakhir Grand Prix
Racing Point's Sergio Perez took the chequered flag on an extraordinary evening in Bahrain. Read more.
Romain Grosjean withdraws from Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Romain Grosjean survived a horrific fireball in Bahrain last weekend but is not fit enough to race one last time for Haas. Read more.
George Russell 'gutted but proud' after near miss at Sakhir Grand Prix
The young Briton, deputising for Lewis Hamilton, was leading the Sakhir Grand Prix until a pit stop blunder and a puncture ended his hopes. Read more.
Sergio Perez in dreamland after win at Sakhir Grand Prix
The Mexican came from the back of the field to win the Sakhir Grand Prix. Read more.
Toto Wolff on George Russell: "A new star is born"
The Briton had looked on course for a win on his Mercedes debut. Read more.
Ferrari pushing for Abu Dhabi 'young driver' test for Sainz
Ferrari is trying to green light a test in Ferrari's 2020 car for Carlos Sainz. Read more.