Journalist Raphael Honigstein has claimed that Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has recently spoken to RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner.
Having starred for the German outfit throughout this season, the 24-year-old has been heavily linked with a switch to Anfield later in 2020.
With Liverpool said to be open to paying the attacker's release clause, Honigstein says that Klopp and the Germany international have already held discussions.
Speaking to BT Sport, Honigstein said: "So far Liverpool have been linked closely and there has been a meeting between him and Jurgen Klopp, at least a virtual one over the last few weeks.
"I think they're a bit hesitant to pull the trigger because they haven't quite figured out how much of a financial problem the coronavirus will present itself to football, coming over the next month in the Premier League.
"I think he's waiting for things to fall into shape and it could be that the transfer window is much later than usual. This kind of deal would have been announced in April/May, this time it could be August or September, but I still think there's a very strong chance he'll end up at Liverpool."
Werner netted a hat-trick against Mainz 05 on Sunday afternoon, taking him to 28 goals for the campaign in the Bundesliga and Champions League.